Don't see an appointment time? Request directly with the clinic.
|Programs + Specialties
||Bone disorders, parathyroid hormone, vitamin D, metastatic cancer to bone
|Training + Education
Tulane University; Massachusetts General Hospital
Floating Hospital for Children
Floating Hospital, 2nd Floor
800 Washington St.
Boston, MA 02111
Fax #: 617-636-0503
Phone #: 617-636-5335
2006, Excellence in Research Award, Pediatrics, Oschner Clinic Foundation
2004, American Society for Bone and Mineral Research Young Investigator Award
2002, John Haddad Young Investigator Award
1995, DiLuzio Award in Physiology
1991-1993, Howard Hughes Medical Institute Predoctoral Fellowship
1. Talib HJ, Ponnapakkam T, Gensure R, Cohen HW, Coupey SM. Treatment of Vitamin D Deficiency in Predominantly Hispanic and Black Adolescents: A Randomized Clinical Trial. J Pediatr. 2015 Dec 12. pii: S0022-3476(15)01378-5. doi: 10.1016/j.jpeds.2015.11.025. [Epub ahead of print]
2. Ponnapakkam T, Katikaneni R, Sakon J, Stratford R, Gensure RC. Treating osteoporosis by targeting parathyroid hormone to bone. Drug Discov Today. 2014 Mar;19(3):204-8. doi: 10.1016/j.drudis.2013.07.015. Epub 2013 Aug 6.
3. Katikaneni R1, Ponnapakkam T, Suda H, Miyata S, Sakon J, Matsushita O, Gensure RC. Treatment for chemotherapy-induced alopecia in mice using parathyroid hormone agonists and antagonists linked to a collagen binding domain. Int J Cancer. 2012 Sep 1;131(5):E813-21. doi: 10.1002/ijc.27379. Epub 2012 Jan 24.
4. Gangat M, Ponnapakkam T, Bradford E, Katikaneni R, Gensure R. Reversed seasonal variation in maternal vitamin D levels in southern Louisiana. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2012 Aug;51(8):718-22. doi: 10.1177/0009922812444599. Epub 2012 May 7.
5. Ponnapakkam T, Katikaneni R, Nichols T, Tobin G, Sakon J, Matsushita O, Gensure RC. Prevention of chemotherapy-induced osteoporosis by cyclophosphamide with a long-acting form of parathyroid hormone. J Endocrinol Invest. 2011 Dec;34(11):e392-7. doi: 10.3275/7864. Epub 2011 Jul 12.
6. Ponnapakkam T, Bradford E, Gensure R. A treatment trial of vitamin D supplementation in breast-fed infants: universal supplementation is not necessary for rickets prevention in Southern Louisiana. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2010 Nov;49(11):1053-60. doi: 10.1177/0009922810376320. Epub 2010 Aug 19.
7. Katikaneni R, Ponnapakkam T, Ponnapakkam A, Gensure R. Breastfeeding does not protect against urinary tract infection in the first 3 months of life, but vitamin D supplementation increases the risk by 76%. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2009 Sep;48(7):750-5. doi: 10.1177/0009922809332588. Epub 2009 Mar 4.
8. Ponnapakkam A, Gensure R. Effects of stress after hurricanes Katrina and Rita on pubertal disorders in children. Ochsner J. 2008 Fall;8(3):129-33.
9. Gensure RC, Mäkitie O, Barclay C, Chan C, Depalma SR, Bastepe M, Abuzahra H, Couper R, Mundlos S, Sillence D, Ala Kokko L, Seidman JG, Cole WG, Jüppner H. A novel COL1A1 mutation in infantile cortical hyperostosis (Caffey disease) expands the spectrum of collagen-related disorders. J Clin Invest. 2005 May;115(5):1250-7.
10. Hopyan S, Gokgoz N, Poon R, Gensure RC, Yu C, Cole WG, Bell RS, Jüppner H, Andrulis IL, Wunder JS, Alman BA. A mutant PTH/PTHrP type I receptor in enchondromatosis. Nat Genet. 2002 Mar;30(3):306-10. Epub 2002 Feb 19.
Robert Gensure, MD, PhD has been in clinical practice in Pediatric Endocrinology since 2001. Dr. Gensure provides care for patients with diabetes (types 1 and 2), prediabetes, polycystic ovarian syndrome, thyroid disorders, short stature (including Turner syndrome), precocious or delayed puberty, pituitary dysfunction, and adrenal disorders. He has a special interest in pediatric bone disease, which is also his research interest. Dr. Gensure's a native of the north shore and his fellowship training was at Massachusetts General Hospital. His interests include music (piano and violin), soccer (BSSC Div 1 champions ‘Gang Green’) and skiing.
American Society for Bone and Mineral Research
American Society of Clinical Endocrinologists
International Society for Clinical Densitometry
National Osteoporosis Foundation