|Programs + Specialties
|Training + Education
McMaster School of Medicine, Hamilton, Ontario; McMaster University Hospitals; University of British Columbia, Vancouver; Tufts Medical Center
||Internal Medicine, Nephrology
||View Accepted Insurances at Tufts MC + Floating Hospital
Tufts Medical Center
35 Kneeland St.
Boston, MA 02111
Phone #: 617-636-5866
Fax #: 617-636-2369
2018, Garabed Eknoyan Award from National Kidney Foundation
2000, Second and Third Prizes in Oral Presentation Category, Annual Resident Research Day, McMaster University
1999, Best Oral Presentation, South-West Ontario Critical Care Conference, London Ontario
1998, First Prize in Case Report Category, Annual Res
1. Inker LA, Schmid CH, Tighiouart H, Eckfeldt JH, Feldman HI, Greene T, Kusek JW, Manzi J, Van Lente F, Zhang YL, Coresh J, Levey AS; CKD-EPI Investigators. Estimating glomerular filtration rate from serum creatinine and cystatin C. New England Journal of Medicine. 2012 Jul 5; 367(1):20-9. Erratum in: New England Journal of Medicine. 2012 Aug 16; 367(7):681. PubMed PMID: 22762315.
2. Inker LA, Astor BC, Fox CH, Isakova T, Lash JP, Peralta CA, Kurella Tamura M, Feldman HI. KDOQI US Commentary on the 2012 KDIGO Clinical Practice Guideline for the Evaluation and Management of CKD. American Journal of Kidney Disease. 2014 May;63(5):713-35.doi: 10.1053/j.ajkd.2014.01.416. Epub 2014 Mar 16. PubMed PMID: 24647050.
3. Coresh J, Turin TC, Matsushita K, Sang Y, Ballew SH, Appel LJ, Arima H, Chadban SJ, Cirillo M, Djurdjev O, Green JA, Heine GH, Inker LA, Irie F, Ishani A, Ix JH, Kovesdy CP, Marks A, Ohkubo T, Shalev V, Shankar A, Wen CP, de Jong PE, Iseki K, Stengel B, Gansevoort RT, Levey AS; for the CKD Prognosis Consortium. Decline in Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate and Subsequent Risk of End-Stage Renal Disease and Mortality. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2014 Jun 3. doi: 10.1001/jama.2014.6634. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 24892770.
4. Inker LA, Levey AS, Pandya K, Stoycheff N, Okparavero A, Greene T; Chronic Kidney Disease Epidemiology Collaboration (CKD-EPI). Early Change in Proteinuria as a Surrogate End Point for Kidney Disease Progression: An Individual Patient Meta-analysis. American Journal of Kidney Disease. 2014 Jul;64(1):74-85. doi: 10.1053/j.ajkd.2014.02.020. Epub 2014 Apr 29. PubMed PMID: 24787763; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4070618.
5. Inker LA, Lambers Heerspink HJ, Mondal H, Schmid CH, Tighiouart H, Noubary F, Coresh J, Greene T, Levey AS. GFR Decline as an Alternative End Point to Kidney Failure in Clinical Trials: A Meta-analysis of Treatment Effects From 37 Randomized Trials. American Journal of Kidney Disease. 2014 Dec;64(6):848-59. doi: 10.1053/j.ajkd.2014.08.017. Epub 2014 Oct 16. PubMed PMID: 25441438.
6. Inker LA, Okparavero A, Tighiouart H, Aspelund T, Andresdottir MB, Eiriksdottir G, Harris T, Launer L, Nikulasdottir H, Sverrisdottir JE, Gudmundsdottir H, Noubary F, Mitchell G, Palsson R, Indridason OS, Gudnason V, Levey AS. Midlife Blood Pressure and Late-Life GFR and Albuminuria: An Elderly General Population Cohort. American Journal of Kidney Disease. 2015 Aug;66(2):240-8. doi: 10.1053/j.ajkd.2015.03.030. Epub 2015 May 16. PubMed PMID: 25987258.
7. Inker LA, Tighiouart H, Coresh J, Foster MC, Anderson AH, Beck GJ, Contreras G, Greene T, Karger AB, Kusek JW, Lash J, Lewis J, Schelling JR, Navaneethan SD, Sondheimer J, Shafi T, Levey AS. GFR Estimation Using β-Trace Protein and β(2)-Microglobulin in CKD. American Journal of Kidney Disease. 2015 Sep 9. pii: S0272-6386(15)01060-4. doi: 10.1053/j.ajkd.2015.07.025. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 26362696.
8. Huang N, Foster MC, Lentine KL, Garg AX, Poggio ED, Kasiske BL, Inker LA, Levey AS. Estimated GFR for Living Kidney Donor Evaluation. American Journal of Transplantation. 2016 Jan;16(1):171-80. PMID: 26594819
9. Sekula P, Goek ON, Quaye L, Barrios C, Levey AS, Römisch-Margl W, Menni C, Yet I, Gieger C, Inker LA, Adamski J, Gronwald W, Illig T, Dettmer K, Krumisiek J, Oefner PJ, Valdes AM, Meisinger C, Coresh J, Spector TD, Mohney RP, Suhre K, Kastenmülle G, Köttgen A. A Metabolome-Wide Association Study of Kidney Function and Disease in the General Population. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2015 Oct 8. pii: ASN.2014111099. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 26449609
10. Inker LA, Tighiouart H, Aspelund T, Gudnason V, Harris T, Indridason OS, Palsson R, Shastri S, Levey AS, Sarnak MJ. Lifetime Risk of Stage 3-5 CKD in a Community-Based Sample in Iceland. Clinical journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2015 Aug 18. pii: CJN.00180115. Epub 2015 Aug 18. PubMed PMID: 26286924.
11. Eckfeldt JH, Karger AB, Miller WG, Rynders GP, Inker LA. Performance in Measurement of Serum Cystatin C by Laboratories Participating in the College of American Pathologists 2014 CYS Survey. Archives of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine. 2015 Jul;139(7):888-93. doi: 10.5858/arpa.2014-0427-CP. Epub 2015 Apr 17. PubMed PMID:25884370.
12. Tangri N, Grams ME, Levey AS, Coresh J, Appel LJ, Astor BC, Chodick G, Collins AJ, Djurdjev O, Elley CR, Evans M, Garg AX, Hallan SI, Inker LA, Ito S, Jee SH, Kovesdy CP, Kronenberg F, Heerspink HJ, Marks A, Nadkarni GN, Navaneethan SD, Nelson RG, Titze S, Sarnak MJ, Stengel B, Woodward M, Iseki K; CKD Prognosis Consortium. Multinational Assessment of Accuracy of Equations for Predicting Risk of Kidney Failure: A Meta-analysis. The Journal of the American Medical Association. 2016 Jan 12;315(2):164-74. PMID 26757465
Dr. Inker's clinical interests are general nephrology, detection and treatment of CKD, assessment of kidney function, geriatric nephrology, HIV-associated kidney disease, and kidney stones. She is the Director for Quality Improvement for the Division, Director of the Kidney and Blood Pressure Center and director of the Kidney Function Evaluation Clinic
Dr. Inker’s primary research interests are in epidemiology and outcomes related to CKD. Her major research interest is in the estimation ad measurement of glomerular filtration rate (GFR). She was the co-principal investigator of the Chronic Kidney Disease Epidemiology Collaboration (CKD-EPI), a collaborative effort to use pooled individual patient data to address central questions in the epidemiology of CKD, including developing improved glomerular filtration rate (GFR) estimation equations, using these equations to refine prevalence estimates for CKD from National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. The principle outcomes of this work are new estimating equations for GFR the CKD-EPI creatinine equation, the CKD-EPI cysatin C equation and the CKD-EPI creatinine-cystatin C equation. All of these are more accurate than the currently most commonly used equation, the MDRD Study equation. The creatinine-cystatin C equation is more precise than either the CKD-EPI creatinine or the CKD-EPI cystatin C equation. More recently, she is investigating novel filtration markers, including low molecular weight proteins, beta trace protein and beta-2-microglobulin. dR Inker has led or collaborated in several research studies to evaluate kidney function in other populations, including HIV positive people, elderly, patients with severe liver disease and cancer. She is now an investigator in the NIDDK CKD-Biomarker Consortium, a collaborative effort to discover and validate new markers for CKD.
Another major research interest is investigation of alternative endpoints for kidney disease outcomes in clinical trials, including changes in urine protein and lesser declines in GFR compared to the currently accepted doubling of serum creatinine.
Policy - Guideline Development and Implementation
Dr. Inker is also interested in research and policy related to implementation of CKD Guidelines. She works with NKF leadership and national organizations to implement CKD guidelines, including issues related to GFR estimation and revisions to diagnostic codes for kidney disease.
National Kidney Foundation
Clinical Oversight committee, co-chair, Kidney Early Education Program (KEEP)
International Renal Work Group for revisions to the International Classification of Disease - 11th edition. Co-chair
Member, scientific advisory board, National Kidney Foundation
Member, National Kidney Disease Education Program