|Programs + Specialties
||Antimicrobial drug development, S. aureus infections, fungal infections, infections in immunosuppressed patients, infections related to cardiac assist devices
|Training + Education
University of Texas Medical School at Houston; Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
||Infectious Disease, Internal Medicine
||View Accepted Insurances at Tufts MC + Floating Hospital
Tufts Medical Center
South Building, 6th Floor
800 Washington St.
Boston, MA 02111
Phone #: 617-636-7010
Fax #: 617-636-8525
2013, "Top Doctor," Boston Magazine
2012, "Top Doctor," Boston Magazine
2012, "Top Doctor," U.S. News & World Report
2011, Fellow, Infectious Diseases Society of America
2008, Fellow, American College of Physicians
1998, Edward H. Kass Award for Clinical Excellence
1997, Defriez Award for Clinical Teaching and Administrative Leadership
1996, James L. Tullis M.D. Award for Intellectual Achievement
1993, Alpha Omega Alpha National Honor Society American Medical Women's Association Award
1. Fowler V.G., K.B. Allen, E.D. Moreira, M. Moustafa, F. Isgro, H.W. Boucher, R. Corey, Y. Carmeli, R. Betts, J.S. Hartzel, N.A. Kartsonis, D. Guris, M.J. DiNubile, M.T. Onorato, and A. Sobanjo-ter Meulen. Effect of an Investigational Vaccine for Preventing Staphylococcus aureus Infections After Cardiothoracic Surgery: A Randomized Trial. JAMA. 2013; 309(13):1368-1378. doi:10.1001/jama.2013.3010.
2. Weston, A., H.W. Boucher. Early High-Dose Daptomycin for MRSA Bloodstream Infections with Elevated Vanomcycin MICs: Ready for Prime Time? Clinical Infectious Diseases 2013; 56(11):1570–2. doi: 10.1093/cid/cit118.
3. Boucher, H.W., G.H. Talbot, D.K. Benjamin, J. Bradley, R.J. Guidos, R.N. Jones, B.E. Murray, R.A. Bonomo, and D. Gilbert. 10 x ‘20 Progress: Development of New Drugs Active against Gram-negative Bacilli - An Update from the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2013. Jun; 56(12):1685-94. doi: 10.1093/cid/cit152.
4. Johnson, K, H.W. Boucher. Imminent Challenges: Carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae in Transplant Recipients and Patients with Hematologic Malignancy. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2014. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciu056
5. Doron, S, H.W. Boucher. The Department of Defense Fights the Battle Against Antimicrobial Resistance: Can the United States win the War? Clinical Infectious Diseases 2014. doi: ciu320.
6. Boucher, H.W., M. Wilcox, G.H. Talbot, S. Puttagunta, A.F. Das, M.D. Dunne. Once-Weekly Dalbavancin versus Daily Conventional Therapy for Skin Infection. New England Journal of Medicine 2014; 370: 2169-2179. (Lead article for June 5 edition). doi: 0.1056/NEJMoa1310480.
7. Gilbert, D.N., R.J. Guidos, H.W. Boucher, et al. The 10 x ’20 Initiative: Pursuing a Global Commitment to Develop 10 New Antibacterial Drugs by 2020. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2010; 50: 1081-3.
8. Boucher H.W. Challenges in Anti-Infective Development in the Era of Bad Bugs, No Drugs: A Regulatory Perspective Using the Example of Bloodstream Infection as an Indication. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2010; 50 (Suppl 1): S4–S9.
9. Kanafani, Z. A., W.M. Kourany, V.G. Fowler, D. P. Levine, G.A. Vigliani, M. Campion, D. E. Katz, G.R. Corey, and H.W. Boucher. Clinical Characteristics and Outcomes of Diabetic Patients with Staphylococcus aureus Bacteremia and Endocarditis. European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases 2009; 28 (12): 1477-82.
10. Stryjewski, M.E., H.W. Boucher. Gram-negative Bloodstream Infections. International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents 2009; 345: S18-S22
Helen Boucher, MD, specializes in the care of immunocompromised patients, transplant-related infections, and S. aureus/MRSA infections. Her research focuses on antibiotic development and she advocates for increased development of medicines to treat antibiotic-resistant diseases. She is director of the infectious diseases fellowship program and staff physician in the Division of Geographic Medicine and Infectious Diseases at Tufts Medical Center and Associate Professor of Medicine at Tufts University School of Medicine. Dr. Boucher is a member of the Board of Directors of the Infectious Diseases Society of America and the American Board of Internal Medicine Subspecialty Board on Infectious Disease. She is board certified in Infectious Disease and Internal Medicine.
Member, Board of Directors, Infectious Diseases Society of America
Steering Committee, Mycoses Study Group
Research Committee, Infectious Diseases Society of America
Antimicrobial Availability Task Force, Infectious Diseases Society of America
Graduate Medical Committee, Tufts Medical Center
Infectious Diseases Society of America
American Society of Microbiology
Massachusetts Infectious Diseases Society
American College of Physicians
Massachusetts Medical Society
American Medical Association